Wednesday, July 14, 2010

ModCloth Online Store

Who knew that late night procrastinating via FBing could lead to an interesting find? I'm sure everyone's seen their share of odd Facebook sidebar ads, but apparently they did good with the targeting of ads for me tonight. Lured in by a cute advertisement for online store, ModCloth, I think I've found a new online shopping obsession. The website says the company was "Founded by high school sweethearts, Eric Koger and Susan Gregg Koger, and built on a foundation of love..." Okay, the sentence actually finishes with "love for vintage and retro clothing," but I liked the idea of it ending with love. The idea of Eric creating ModCloth.com for Susan to expand on her passion for fashion is pretty darn cute, right?

Anyway, I did a quick perusal of the inventory and, wow, there are so many great options! It's pretty late, so for now I can only share the items that quickly caught my eye (of course I went straight to the dresses):

Riesling Dress ($64.99): I tried on a dress exactly like this once and loved the shape and fit of it! Adding a belt or a long strand of grey pearls would be perfect.

In the Blue Light Dress ($79.99): I've been leaning towards trying dresses of shapes different from my staple cami top ones, and this one is gorgeous! Love the color and the fact that the shorter length balances out the more conservative top.

Guava Goddess Dress ($49.99): A simple and casual--I can slip this on any day--kind of dress. I can't resist the fun color, pockets, and comfy, light material.

The price points are moderately higher (think Anthropologie style and sale prices), but similar to prices offered by a local boutique in my neighborhood. I think shopping at boutiques like this always gives you the best inventory to choose from. Hopefully the quality makes for it being worth it to spend a little bit more for more unique pieces. For those of you who like the joy of finding vintage, one of a kind pieces, the store also offers a vintage section (although I was confused as to why all the inventory listed was already labeled as "Sold").

Has anyone tried ModCloth? I wonder what the quality and fit is like. The company's vast social network includes a fun Blogger of the Moment feature, which showcases fashion bloggers across the web so I will definitely need to read up on these. As a shopping perk, the store offers free returns and quick exchanges, so there's no real reason not to give this place a try. Can't wait to take some more time to pick out a few items to order!

5 comments:

  1. I've actually had ModCloth bookmarked for a while now.. just never had the courage to purchase anything lol. Now that I know they have free returns, I've got nothing to lose! Let us know what you end up ordering =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of modcloth before but never ordered anything from them. Their prices are kind of high. I might try them one day. Keep us posted if you ended up ordering from them
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am giving away a beautiful necklace at PetiteLittleGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered something from ModCloth once since I saw them advertising on perezhilton.com, I was really disappointed with the quality of the dress. It was unlined and the fabric was rough, I feel that I could have gotten a better dress for way cheaper at Forever21! It was a strapless dress as well and the top was waaaay too big, it had no boning either so wouldn't have stayed up. Also, when I posted a negative review for the dress, they deleted my post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm always super iffy about trying out new online stores because I hate the hassle of paying for shipping and then always end up too lazy to return them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks so much for the heads up! It's pretty upsetting when companies take down bad reviews. I feel like since boutiques have such a variety of different brands that they carry, it's likely that not everything will be of great quality so they should keep all feedback for future reference on what to avoid stocking up on! I will definitely keep this in mind when deciding if and what I should order from there. I can definitely pick out a few items that seem way too overpriced but was hoping that there were some goodies that were worth trying.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails