Thursday, July 29, 2010

Heels Over Head: Style or Comfort?

I can't say I'm really a heels kind of gal. Standing at my measly height, I could definitely work on wearing a pair more often than not. The fault is that although they're a much needed accessory in my quest to look older, I still haven't mastered the art of walking in them like a real lady. Clumsily clunkering around in them, while praying that I don't fall down the stairs (as one of my co-workers actually did recently) makes them more trouble than they are worth! I think more than a few of us can identify with the sentiments of Miss Keri Hilson, "Love how they look, but hate how they feel." Do we really have to sacrifice comfort for style, and style for comfort? I found two pairs of heels recently that made me think of this dilemma:

Recently seen on Lauren Conrad (one of my favorite style icons), the Aldo Fawson heels are completely sexy and frighteningly high, high, high! The first time I slipped into these, I thought I was immediately going to topple forward. The arch on these babies makes you feel like your feet are practically vertically upright. How did LC walk across that slippery walkway at The Roosevelt that night without toppling into the pool?! That's totally what I would've done. I've only owned two other pairs of Aldo's and can't remember them being too comfortable so I'm not sure if the hot factor of these are worth the scary consequences of the fact that I might probably will fall on my face. For about $50, I'm tempted to keep them anyway! With the perfect light shade of gray and a sexy high back, these are pretty irresistible. What do you think, are they worth keeping?

I found a more practical choice in these Via Spiga Lang Pumps at Nordstrom Rack over the weekend and couldn't be happier! I never really thought to get some gray suede heels for work, but as seen in Janice's summer work outfit entry for PAG's contest (yay for winning 2nd place!), they're great! I've heard countless praise for how comfortable Via Spiga heels are, so finding them for over 50% off (and in size 5.5, no less) was amazing. I've worn them to work twice already and can't echo how much more comfortable they are than the other heels I have. They are obviously not calling anyone's attention to my feet the way the Fawson's do, but the comfort factor completely wins me over. The padding on the foot bed is thick and soft and because they actually fit, my foot isn't constantly slipping in and out of the shoe! Since this is a platform heel, these 3 1/2 inch heels don't place as much pressure on the front of my foot. Love, love these and will be wearing them often! 

For any girls living in LA, be sure to check out the Nordstrom Rack in Pasadena (3363 E. Foothill Blvd). I've found this location to have one of the best designer shoe loot in the area. Not only do they constantly restock with a great variety of pretty current styles, they've got plenty of sizes for those of us with teeny tiny feet (sizes 4.5 to 6)!

Placing them right next to each really brings out the differences!

18 comments:

  1. The Via Spiga's are so cute! I have a pair of gray suede pumps too and I wear them all the time! They go with everything. You're going to love them.

    I really hate this whole crazy high heel thing. Sure, 4" is no big deal when you have a 7 or 8 size foot, but trying to stick our little 5-6 size foot on a 4" heel is not cool! Our feet only bend so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first pair is HOTTT! I think sometimes it's def worth it to look nice over comfort :) But only if worn for short periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a petite girl and a size 7 foot and I don't think I could wear those super high ones!

    Even at that price point how often will you really wear them? Me personally, I'd always be thinking about how long I would be standing for and the walk to the location from the car etc. I really like the Via Spiga ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Via Spigas! The Aldo ones are cute, but they're killer. I had shoes with that high of an arch and I couldn't bear them after 2 hours of walking. Eventually I used foot petals to ease the discomfort, but it's really not worth it.

    When I'm in heels, I tend to shift my support to the balls of my foot which helps me walk better instead of clunking around. It's always strange to me how some girls wear such high heels only to slouch and do that leg bendy thing when they walk. Sure, their feet look sexy...but the not rest of them in that position!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow those aldo shoes are soooooooo sexy looking!!!! i really want to try them on. i bet they make your legs look super long too!

    but yea comfort is SO important... i bought 2 pairs of via spiga shoes and LOVE them! the ones i wear to go out don't even hurt after like 5 hours or standing around/dancing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa...those Aldo's are "hot" but I like the VS ones WAY way better. Aldo shoes at that height are extremely uncomfortable. I own a few pairs and ended up donating half because my arches were killing me after standing around for 5 minutes, so it's just not worth it! The stock photo of those VS ones are pretty boring though, btw, they look much better in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. Those shoes are killer. I know I can NEVER walk on them but they're hot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL i totally remember LC wearing them! and yes Aldo shoes are not comfortable! I've owner a few pairs and always put them in the back of the closet after wearing it a few times... I wear people design them are feet haters lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so excited to find the VS pumps! It's so nice to find an alternative to the normal black pumps.

    Completely agree that the lack of foot length we have to bend makes it the hardest (and most ridiculous) to try to stuff ourselves into higher heels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, as I found on my most recent Vegas trip, that even wearing uncomfortable, sexy heels for 5 minutes can be killer. :( They're good stand-ins for pictures and then must be quickly replaced with an actual wearable pair for outings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have such a bad habit of justifying "bad" purchases with lower prices! I always end up keeping them and never wearing them! Thanks to you girls, these are going back ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHAHA! I am completely guilty of the ugly, awkward slouching in high heels... which is exactly the reason I try to stay away from them as much as possible! Will have to try to more consciously place pressure in the right part of my foot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The high-back is my favorite part of these! Haven't seen any shoes lately with the same attribute, but hope to find a much more comfy pair that are as sexy!

    My feet didn't hurt at all after wearing the VS at work--it was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! When I looked up the VS's online, I had to do a double take on the stock photos that popped up. I don't think I would ever think to buy them if I'd never seen them in person... Was also glad that the gray suede was available since I'm not much of a fan of the other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Via Spiga all the way. The other ones would have worked if there was some kind of platform in the front. I'm all for suffering for fashion, but killer heels take on a new meaning with those shoes from Aldo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think 4" is too high for any petite. I have a size 7 foot, but there's nooooooooo way I could pull off that shoe. A taller person with a size 7-8 foot could do it though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Aldo Fawson's...I love tall heels, my feet are humongous compared to yours (I am a 6.5/7) but I can't imagine someone as petite as you are walking around in these giant heels.

    Also, how did you take that first picture?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the Fawson's too! It broke my heart to return them, but I agreed with everyone that the likelihood of me wearing them was ridiculous.

    IUnfortunately, I'm no pro at taking pictures, so this one was taken using a timer, with the camera placed on the floor (I guess it helps that my ancient Canon PowerShot is boxy enough to stand on its own).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails