Thursday, July 22, 2010

Gettin' Cheeky

I rekindled an old flame this past week - with MAC makeup. Throughout high school and until the first years of college, I was completely obsessed with MAC makeup products. Every day I'd read each new post in the Livejournal MAC community, and absorb all I could about the huge variety of products, colors, collections, etc that MAC had to offer. I adored the company for its extensive color range, affordability, and general sense of playfulness and fun. It was the beginning of my foray into girly-girl world (growing up, I'd been more tomboy-ish and focused on sports) and it showed me one of the many benefits of being a girl - experimenting and playing around with makeup! My friend Eveline got equally hooked and described MAC in my favorite way ever, calling them her "Weapons of Mass Attraction" =D

I amassed a good-sized collection of MAC but over time sold them off since they were sitting around uselessly. However, I held onto several favorite eyeshadows, face brushes, and most importantly, my BLUSHES. Who knows why, but I simply adore blushes and have accumulated more than my two cheeks can handle. I really believe blush makes a big difference on appearance and can make you look alive. I also don't discriminate; I have equal love for bronzers and highlighters as well.

My cheeky collection. Top row: Shu Uemura blushes (P Orange 58D, P Peach 47, Harmonious Orange, and P Pink 30), Bobbi Brown Gold Shimmerbrick in middle. Starting from 12 o' clock position clockwise: MAC Stereo Rose, MAC Trace Gold, Nars Orgasm, MAC Uncommon Cremeblush, Cargo Medium Matte Bronzer, MAC Summerlily Cremeblush, MAC for Hello Kitty Fun & Games, MAC Shimpagne. Inner circle L to R: MSF Natural in Medium, MAC Refined Golden Bronze

Anyway, so what brought me back to MAC was the re-release of one of my favorite beauty products of all time - Stereo Rose Mineralized Skinfinish, or MSF's as MAC addicts refer to them. I bought it when it first came out, before I knew that it would hyped and elevated to cult status. It came out with the Goldplay collection in 2005, and everyone in the LJ community was going crazy over the MSFs, which are baked in Italy and then imported overseas. Naturally, I had to check it out and fell in love with the marble-ized color, which is a coral gold and imparts a shimmery sunkissed glow. It reminds me of Nars Orgasm but the glitter is much more refined and sophisticated.

Lighting is a little off here, but it's very warm-toned. My dome is flattening =(



Stereo Rose quickly sold out and although there were similar colors produced in later collections (Petticoat comes to mind), the marketing geniuses at MAC chose to hide this product away until now. Unsurprisingly, this sold out in stores on the first day of launch. I was a slowpoke and didn't get to a counter until a week later. I did however pick up an MSF Natural after reading Michelle's reviews and am still weighing how I feel about it.

I'm sad I missed out on the Stereo Rose train, but glad it made me bring out my beloved original version and use it again after putting it in storage/hoarding! Here it is (lightly or it kinda melted away under the NY humidity) along with MSF Natural over Prescriptives Virtual Matte foundation and the Cargo Bronzer. I usually apply MSFs with the skunk brush, which picks up the lightest layer and deposits the product gently, since MSFs can be quite shimmery.


For application of any face product, my favorite brush is the MAC 187; I got two so I can go longer without cleaning them =P The short kabuki brush was the most expensive brush I have but I don't know if I would buy it all over again, it's not absolutely necessary to get a smooth application. Frankly, I love the Sonia Kashuk and Sephora fluffy brushes, quality is great without breaking the bank!

MAC 187 aka skunk brush (x2), Sonia Kashuk powder brush, Sephora powder brush that I use for blush, MAC SE 152, MAC SE 168, MAC 182 aka kabuki brush
I'm always interested in adding to my blush collection - do you have any must-get recs?

Blushes: Uncapped version.

9 comments:

  1. PetiteLittleGirl.comJuly 23, 2010 at 4:19 AM

    What a great cheeky collection! I can't seem to find a blush that matches my skin tone
    ---------------------------------------------
    Last day to enter my giveaway for a beautiful necklace at PetiteLittleGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of you is adorable! Like some of the other commenters, I have a lot of trouble finding a good blush. MAC is great and I'm currently using the StudioFix powder, but the blushes have been a bit disappointing for me. 'Guess I just haven't found the right color yet. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love the Tiffany Blue color packaging!! I would buy it for that reason alone lol. The Shu Uemura blushes look really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! That was from the Lure collection years ago, they do keep reproducting the bronzer but in different packaging. MAC is smart - they constantly reinvent themselves with new collections and entice people in with cute packaging haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOA i didn't know you had this many!!!! help me explore the land of blushes! i only have that shu uemura one that's done now and this Cargo one i bought for recruiting back in college haha.. and now the MSF that you gave me! i really like it -- very natural!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Shu Uemura M Pink 30 is still my favorite go-to blush because it's matte and gorgeous! It's running out quickly though and is nowhere to be found online (although I guess I could get the M Pink 33E as an alternative).

    I love the Stereo Rose on you and am sad I've never had a chance to try it. Let me know if you know where I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should try going to a counter or MAC store and have them pick something out for you! They'll be able to help choose something that matches either your "warm" or "cool" skintone. From there, you'll have lots of choices to choose from! I find that a pale pink doesn't suit me since I look better in warm hues, but I can do a darker pink or a pink-coral. But there is definitely something out there for everyone =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the application makes a huge difference on how a blush color turns out too. Have you tried the 187 Stippling brush? It imparts a more natural flush on cheeks and can tone down a blush to make it more wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's crazy how quickly Stereo Rose sold out. I think maccosmetics.com restocked it awhile back but it's gone again =\

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails