Thursday, November 4, 2010

Quick Post: Current Beauty Obsessions

Happy November, everyone! Whoa, LA, was it really 90 degrees today? Lucky me for working in the valley--it was extra warm out there. If it weren't for the fact that it gets dark so quickly these days, I'd think we were still in summer mode. If only! :)

Anywhoiee, things have been... busy and outrageous. Save for still doing some stumbling as a newbie at work, life has been pretty good! I haven't had time to take some good outfit photos, but thought it'd still be fun to write a quick post on some products that I've been using (and LOVING) lately.

1. MAC Viva Glam Cyndi Lauper Lipstick: Anyone that knows me, knows that I have always been deathly afraid of wearing color on my lips. I once went to the Chanel counter, denied all efforts to try on a red, and walked away with $60 worth of "nude" lipcolors that were no different than... my lipcolor. MAC colors, especially, scared me. When the makeup artist whipped out a dark wine lipliner (MAC Lipliner in Currant), I was ready to run. Good thing I didn't! Who knew that this combo of Currant + Cyndi was going to become my favorite lip combo ever? Alone, the Cyndi lippie is a pretty coralish-red, but combined with the Currant, it's gorgeous. I love that I can play around with how dark or light I want it to be just by altering how much lipliner I use to fill my lips with. I recently wore the combo out on Halloween and the staying power is pretty great too (we were Mario and Wario). I don't even top it off with anything because it's got the right amount of glossiness. All the beauty bloggers' raves are completely warranted--you need this lipstick in your life!

2. Aquaphor Healing Ointment: Okay, this is not sexy at all, but what great lip is achievable without ultra soft and smooth lips? Despite attempts to gulp down jugs of water during the day, my lips are dry... and chapped. Again, not sexy. I've tried every lip balm ever created and still, no real winners (although I do love the spiffiness of the EOS balms). This ointment was originally purchased to combat another horrific chin rash caused by overuse of MB's drying lotion. It didn't help my rash, but I remembered PAG mentioned that she uses Aquaphor before putting on lipstick as well, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Ding ding, it worked like a miracle! I love that it's non-scented, absorbs well (use a tiny bit so you don't end up eating any excess), and makes my lip products glide on smooth as butter. Plus, $5 for a tube that's going to last me forever? Yes, please. Also, I promise you can wear it alone and it's kissable (the boys will not be able to distinguish what it is). I can't believe it took me so long to find this product!

3. Essie Nail Polish in Neo Whimsical: Janice already mentioned her new obsession with nail polish and I am definitely a fan, myself. A friend of mine has over 40 polishes in her collection, but my Essie stash only stands at 15. It's become a fast and cheap addiction, thanks to Ulta's buy 2, get 1 free + $5 off promos. My favorite of late has been Neo Whimsical because it's a milky pinkish-lavender that goes with everything! Although I alternate between Chinchilly for the fall, I actually like the refreshing lightness of this shade against my darker outfits. I brush on two coats and top with the ever-necessary Seche Vite Top Coat and am all set to go. Another favorite of mine from the Art of Spring Collection is Van D'Go.

4. Witch Hazel: For less than $5 for a TON of product, this is an absolute beauty steal. I've heard countless recommendations to use witch hazel as a toner, but never really got around to trying it out until now. I've been using it morning and night for the past two weeks and my skin is so soft and smooth. My sensitive skin loves that it's non-drying and basic. There is one con to mention, however. I really hate the smell and almost choked on it the first time I used it, but it's totally worth holding your breath for the few seconds it takes to wipe on. My Clarisonic gets my skin squeaky clean so there's no extra debris picked up by the witch hazel (proof that the Clarisonic DOES work, btw), but I think it's soothing to use before I put on my AHA at night. I don't think toners are a necessity, but this is a nice and cheap addition to my skincare routine.

5. Chloe Eau de Parfum: Last, but not least, is my new Chloe perfume. Everything about this perfume is perfection. In addition to the beautiful and classy packaging (perfect shade of nude pink ribbon), the scent is light and airy. I'm no perfume expert, but it's been hard for me to find one that I like enough to want to wear everyday and that actually lasts. An old accounting co-worker used to walk into the room wearing this and the scent would emanate from her. I couldn't buy it back when we were working on a project together and then decided I might as well wait for the Sephora sale to pick it up at a discount since it's rather pricey. It was completely worth the wait. I am in love. I don't wear it everyday since I think it's a little much for work, but I would if I could.

And those are my current top 5 favorite products! Please share your own current obsessions so that I can stock up on more favorites.

1 comment:

  1. i love Essie's Neo Whimsical nail polish too!! it's the perfect pinky lavender that i've been looking for.

    i've heard such good things about the Chloe perfume! i gotta try this the next time i'm in sephora... :)

    kileen
    cuteandlittle.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails