Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Old-Fashioned Fun at the Pumpkin Patch

I got into the Halloween / fall spirit this weekend and found myself at a pumpkin patch. Who knew that NYC would even have access to a real live farm, complete with animals, a corn maze, pumpkin picking, caramel apples, and hay rides? I sure didn’t, but was very happily surprised to find all of that at Queens County Farm Museum.

The place was much bigger than I had anticipated. I was only expecting a large pumpkin patch and didn’t know so many other activities were offered. Tons of families turned out for the festivities with kids and obliging parents dressed up in their trick-or-treat garb (we saw a really cute banana girl!), and we went along for some old-fashioned fun. We did everything but pet the livestock (eh, I'm not the biggest fan of goats and such).

Vegetables grown on the farm! Gourds are cute.
I wanted them all
I thought the hayride was going to be cooler... but it was the same as being pulled around in a large wagon while surrounded by hay stacks
Sitting on the hay bundles was more uncomfortable than I thought
Warm honey cognac boots to match the fall palette
I love these BCBG Petler Boots - the color, the slim tapered foot. I bought them two seasons ago, so think the color is discontinued. These are a great dupe for the more expensive Loeffler Randall Matildas (which I love and want in Tobacco!)

The corn maze was cheekily dubbed the Amazing Maize Maze and was a lot of fun! Our mission was to find 9 mail boxes with puzzle pieces and find our way out of the maze. It seemed simple enough but we found ourselves going round and round, getting caught in dead ends and at mailboxes we’d already been to. If people needed help, there were giant tubes that served as phones to guides who were perched way high up amongst the corn stalks and could point you toward the right direction. Eventually, we made it out of the maze after 40 minutes... not too bad!
Each team had a flag that stuck out above the corn stalks... you can see them here and there

Then came the main event - pumpkin picking! I loved how orange the pumpkins were against the green grass and surroundings... it was just a happy, merry environment. I got a big one for the apartment and a small one for my room. Going to paint the small one like a cat and name it Hallo-Kitty HAHA.


Suede jacket (1st picture): Zara
Cardigan: Frenchi from Nordstrom
Jeans: Citizens Avedon Slick
Boots: BCBG Petler

2 comments:

  1. OMG I love all the tiny pumpkins! I haven't seen a real pumpkin patch around LA yet. And the ones in the suburbs have things like monster truck races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pumpkin photos are adorable! Would love to see the final result of Hallo-Kitty. =P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails