Friday, November 5, 2010

Be Seen With Green Halloween

Every year for Halloween, I waffle between buying a sexy [fill-in-the-blank] costume, coming up with a creative and tongue in cheek home-made outfit, or just being lazy and not dressing up at all. I wish I had more sewing or makeup talent to do something really snazzy but meh, it's not meant to be. This year, I didn't want to spend money buying a costume and remembered my old Starbucks aprons back in California, so decided to relive one of my favorite jobs - as a barista! Fun fact: Michelle was also a Starbucks barista back the day =)

 

There's something about the green apron I swear, because all the girls who worked at my store would get hit on, during our breaks or even while we're working the register or espresso machine. Maybe coffee just puts people in a good mood, but whatever it is, the aprons got some attraction powers haha.

The uniform includes the apron, a white or black top, and black or khaki pants. I never got a hat when I was working I went without. Since the apron covered most of the front, I wanted the top and bottom to be on the skimpy side but Halloween night was freezing so I layered tights on underneath. I also folded the apron so it was shorter and came up above the knee.

The top is actually from LuluLemon, one of my favorite bra tops for hot yoga, both for the fit and the back.

My boyfriend went as a contestant on The Biggest Loser. Most of his outfit came from American Apparel and came together on the day of, including printing out and laminating the show's logo. At the end of the night, he removed the pillow and became the winner of the show HAHA. I love creative, cheap costumes!
 

I wanted to curl my hair and pin it back and since dirty hair gives the best volume, I used my new Klorane Dry Shampoo instead of showering that night. It is 100x better than Ojon Dry Shampoo, which gets more media attention and writeups but it is so stinky and clogs up after a few uses. Back when I was testing out a Less Poo regimen, I tried the Ojon but was overpowerd by the stench and underwhelmed by the results - my hair was back to greasy looking after an hour or so.

The Klorane has a much lighter scent, and soaks up most of the oilyness. My hair typically requires daily washing or else it clumps and becomes stringy, so it was pretty amazing to have the hair stay separate and dry! For Halloween, it worked perfectly - my pinned back hair looked clean and also bumped with more volume. It isn't colorless though, so those with dark hair should make sure you brush out all the powder. I'd like to give Less 'Poo another shot, and am trying to use the dry shampoo every other day; especially with winter coming, washing hair daily can strip it of natural moisture so hopefully this can train my hair to stop producing all that oil.

One last thing, in keeping with the theme, here is the pumpkin my bf and I ended up carving. Next year I am getting a pumpkin carving kit for sure - it was tough and painful using a thick knife and nails to scrape out the insides! Presenting - Stegosaurus Hallo-Kitty:

(So it was supposed to be a cat with hairs that stood straight up on its back but those were way too difficult to do thinly.. Stegosaurus Cat it was)

2 comments:

  1. You guys did a great job carving out that pumpkin. I could tell right away what it was!! Thanks for the tips on dry shampoo, I'm definitely going to try the Klorane brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post the same information to my blog, thanks for ideas and great article.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails