Thursday, November 11, 2010

Keeping Cozy with Blanket Sweaters

Temperatures keep dropping lower and lower, but after two winters in NYC, I finally feel more prepared for the cold. I am not a big fan of jackets/coats (though they are super necessary!); given a choice, I'd prefer to wear large, chunky sweaters... the more they resemble blankets, the better.

Recently I acquired the ByCorpus Popcorn Sweater from Urban Outfitters and love the waffley texture and warmth. I've been wearing it in place of a jacket whenever I can get away with it, like today was 50 degrees and doable. Air still flows through the arms so it's not the best outer layer but I supplement with gloves and hats. I've tried it with a belt but prefer the loose shapelessness of the open cardigan.


The ivory/grey color is versatile and perfect for camoflouging either way, and works with both warm brown tones and cooler gray outfits. The quality is great and not itchy, and doesn't require a long sleeve tee underneath. I just need to be careful with the stitching catching on hangers and such since threads can be pulled loose.

Another favorite blanket sweater of mine is actually from last year. I picked up this Hinge sweater from Nordstorm Rack last Christmas and love the textured knit. The weight is pretty heavy, but I like cozying up with it over long sleeves. The front looks unstructured but the back has a grid-like pattern that I use to help make sure it's on correctly haha.
 

With oversized sweaters like these, the key is to balance out with tighter, skinny bottoms which pair perfectly with boots. I always feel super warm and comfortable in these outfits, and have started to LIKE fall because of them =) Any other must-have chunky sweaters you're loving this season??

 

I've also started liking hats, which I never wore when in California. After trying on several styles, I've discovered the ones that hug closest to the head suit me best. Berets are a no-go for me, sadly.  This fair isle patterned hat I picked up from a street shop in Chinatown is adorable with ear flaps and keeps me happy in the cold. Living on the east coast has made me appreciate so much more cold weather necessities!

1 comment:

  1. I am a little picky about chunky knits, but I love oversized cardigans too and I love your 2nd sweater!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails