Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Showing Your True Stripes

A weekend trip to Nordstorm Rack produced my favorite shirt this summer - a super soft, perfectly fitted, 3/4 sleeve, boatneck (!!!) striped top. Under store lighting, I swore it was navy and white, but upon closer inspection, the stripes are actually black, so I'm hunting for a dark blue version as well.

I've always loved nautical, military-inspired details, and the classic appeal of the Breton striped shirt calls out to me. Why are stripes, and in particular navy stripes, so closely associated with sea-faring activities? Here's the scoop: the Breton shirt enjoys a long maritime history, dating back to 1868 when it was first introduced as the uniform for French navy seamen. Later on, it was embraced as a garment by the wider mariner population, and now is reincarnated in both casual and dressy outfits.

The top is so versatile and can be low-key or sophisticated. The material is thin and great for balmy summer days (although I was sweating this humid weekend), and I'm looking forward to pairing it with skinny dark denim and blazers in the fall. Whoa, I can't believe I just said I'm anticipating the coming of fall! Autumn is my least favorite season; after all, summer is as far as it can be, and you have to start heaving bulkier jackets/sweaters everywhere. I'll always be a California girl at heart, but am starting to appreciate cooler weather!

Eight sixty top - Nordstrom Rack
Forever 21 shorts
Banana Republic mixed chain necklace

A casual, fun ensemble. These cheery yellow shorts make me so happy, and I take advantage of any opportunity to wear them. I tucked in the top because the shorts bubble out a bit and create a bulge when the shirt is pulled over.

 7 For All Mankind shorts

A more serious option, and you can see the untucked length. Maybe it's a relic from something I used to own when I was younger, but I love love the combo of boatneck + 3/4 sleeve, balanced by a longer length.


Walked to Central Park, and discovered one of the "Play Me, I'm Yours" pianos in the city! Such a cool idea - created as part of a larger art project by British artist Luke Jerram, who has placed snazzily decorated pianos across multiple global cities to encourage spontaneity, creativity and a sense of community. In NYC, there are 60 units located in public parks, streets and plazas, free for all to play, enjoy, interact and share. Recently, I'd read a WSJ article about it but was still completely surprised to come across one! The piano at Central Park was colorfully painted and looked inviting.

I sat down and decided to play one of my favorite pieces from Amelie: Comptine d´un Autre Eté.  It's been a while since I've played so I was pretty nervous, and my anxiety was wasn't alleviated by the small audience sitting on the benches directly in front of me. It was exhilarating (and a relief!) as the song came to an end, but what a unique experience on a beautiful sunny day.


If you're in NYC, go to this link for a map of all the piano locations. They'll be "on exhibit" until July 5th!

4 comments:

  1. I like the shirt a lot - simple, but something about the cut, stripes, and boat neck make it sophisticated. I've been looking for one ever seeing one on 9to5 chic and she wears hers with all sorts of outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I like it! I used to have a 3/4 sleeve boatneck shirt when I was in middle school and it was the best.

    That piano is so cute too! Is that just at Columbus Circle? I want to see when I get back... too bad I don't know how to play anything though =X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wearing shorts in the summer, I'm practically in them everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia Palermo was just wearing something similar to this! Definitely a fun piece for the summer. Maybe you can try it tucked in and belted like how she has it?

    http://hillsfreak.blogspot.com/2010/06/olivia-palermo-johannes-hueble-ny.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails