Monday, June 14, 2010

Everybody Cross Your Body

hGot back from Spain (Barcelona and Madrid to be precise) a week ago and everyone there carried cross-body bags. It may be a trend in America now, but it's practically a necessity overseas, particularly while navigating crowded areas. Sneaky local tricksters (euphemism for thieves, really) will take advantage of unsuspecting tourists and slyly lift wallets/phones/cameras from open pockets. Luckily, I had read up on this prior to leaving stateside and set out to find a zippered messenger bag with criterion that it be 1) lightweight, 2) safe, 3) good organization structure and 4) large enough to fit more than just essentials - during the day, I would be carrying a travel guide, camera, water bottle, sweater, etc.
 
(Retiro Park in Madrid...even guys use cross-body bags!)
I took stock of my inventory at home and could only seriously consider the Longchamp large shopper tote. Made of nylon, the bag is extremely light and could fit everything I needed during the day. It's also attractive looking yet would still blend in on the European streets since it's a pretty common brand and shape. When travelling, I don't want to call more attention to myself than I already am reading maps and snapping pictures of everything! However, I nixed this due to the lack of a crossbody strap, absolutely no internal organization, and too large size.

Then, I stumbled upon the Marc by Marc Jacobs Petal to the Metal Natasha purse, which seemed perfect at first. Cross-body strap, lots of zippers, medium size, and beautiful gold doves to boot. I even called several stores and picked up the last one (nationwide!) at the Soho store. After bringing it home though, I immediately knew it wouldn't work. Why? The main flap is MAGNETIC! Not zippered, which meant not safe at all and I was just asking for my belongings to be stolen. Website pictures and descriptions are deceiving, they definitely make it sound/look like the flap had a zipper (don't be fooled, the flap itself has a zipper opening, but doesn't zip close the main compartment) Super cute purse, just didn't suit my needs.

(from Shopbop.com...currently carrying all colors in stock)
Finally, my roommate Jessica offered to let me borrow her Prada nylon crossbody, her travel bag that's accompanied her to many far-off adventures. It ended up being perfect. Great medium size, adjustable strap, lightweight nylon, discreet design, tons of zippers and compartments, and an extra leather strap close for added safety. My favorite part was the inside zipper in the main compartment - it's where I hid my wallet. I didn't carry any of my credit cards, extra Euros, or passport in my purse; for those top-priority security items, I used a money belt. I could fit most everything I needed (sometimes I felt limited by the size, but it's probably better since it prevented the bag from getting too heavy!) and proved invaluably handy during the trip.

True story - we jumped on a mid-afternoon metro and I was eating sliced pineapples. Both my hands were occupied but I was looking down and could see the bag in my periphery. A young girl squished close to me and tugged on the leather strap gently; I hadn't fastened the last loop so it could've been pulled open. I saw everything as it happened and quickly pulled back, away from her grasp. My main reaction was shock that the stories I read about online came true for me! This girl was trying to pilfer my purse! What I should've done was yell "NO" loudly as to warn the other tourists/passengers, but I was so stunned and instead just shook myself away. I couldn't stop thinking about it the rest of the day, it was a little traumatizing! Thank goodness for the purse; even if she had gotten the strap loose, she would've had to go through two zippers to get to my wallet, and I (hopefully) would have felt her actions by then. So it was a wake up call, and made me really appreciate the bag. Now I'm hunting for my own Prada crossbody!
Some shots in and out of action. I usually turned it around when taking pictures =\ But I used it tons and lurved... trust.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved it and it was useful! Can you believe it's 10 years old now? My mom first got it at Off Saks 5th in Great Mall my freshmen year of HS and then I took it to China the next year and Japan/Taiwan and all over Europe in college.

    Anyway, I totally forgot about the bag since I didn't bring it on our Asia trip last year! I'm going to show my mom your post since she must've forgotten about this one =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just researching potential travel bags as well! The Prada looks perfect, my issue with a lot of cross body bags is that sometimes the straps aren't that comfortable. I have a well-used and loved cross-body purse/bag that has been with me everywhere from Bahamas to Budapest but always makes my shoulders ache so I'm also on the prowl for a new one. Internal organization is super imp too, it sucks when ipod headphones get tangled in coins or old metro tickets. On our current trip, Aileen, Tracy and I are using binder clips as cheapo money clips and on a clubbing expedition I clipped it to the inside of my skirt lol! I don't recommend that though, especially in Europe b/c you get change in tons of coins haha. Hope you had a fun trip, it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that a cross body is so critical for travel! How nice of your roomie to loan you hers! I've been eying that Marc by MJ one for a while because I want a cross body for everyday wear - so glad you mentioned that it is MAGNETIC closure...what were they thinking? Zipper is crucial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag is very well travelled for sure =) It's held up really well over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What material is the cross body you use? I find that leather might be too heavy for travelling, especially since we girls tend to overstuff our bags! Lesportsac has light nylon bags too, but I thought some of the designs were too young.

    Lol at binder clips! Hilarious but ingenius in a bind. Are you guys still in Europe? Can't wait to see more pics from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think for everyday wear the MBMJ would be cute. Do you have to worry about pickpockets in Boston? Zippers are pretty key in NYC. In LA where they drive around all the time, I'm sure the magnetic flap is sufficient and probably desirable to get in and out of the bag easily.

    Oh and the strap on the Natasha is slightly long for petites. It's not adjustable (boo!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm I'm going to Asia for 3.5 weeks this summer. I guess I need to start researching travel bags more seriously! I have a Rebecca Minkoff mini beloved that I thought would work, but now that you bring up the concept of not having a zippererd closure + leather being heavier... I need to find another one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post! I've been mulling over crossbody bags for travel recently to for my upcoming trip to NY & Toronto. I actually just got the MBMJ Natasha bag and I thought it would be fine for NY, but after reading your post & the comments, maybe I should rethink that! I have a crossbody nylon Kipling bag that I usually bring when I travel but it's not the most stylish thing, although I'd rather be un-stylish than robbed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For NY it should be okay, I've seen people carrying it around! Maybe shorten the strap if you feel cautious, and be vigilant in crowded areas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that none of your stuff was stolen! Cross-Body Bags are great for Europe. However, even if you do bring a shoulder strap bag, bags that have a turnlock flap and then a top zipper also are useful too, because thieves have to work twice as hard to get into your stuff. I have one of those, but I also bought in Europe too so I probably looked more european because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so
    love this blog, already bookmarked it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails