Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Wrinkle (Releaser) in Time

One bad habit of mine is leaving clothes in the washing machine and dryer. I'm then punished with wet-dog smelling clothes left in the washing machine and rumpled garments left in the dryer. While there isn't much I could do to remedy the former, I've discovered a great solution to the latter... Downy Wrinkle Releaser Spray. It works great on cottons and jersey fabrics, instantly lifting away wrinkles and reducing static cling. My apartment has a small iron and lacks an ironing board, so what usually happens when pieces of clothing get too wrinkly is they get brought to the drycleaners. I've since stopped doing that ever since discovering the Downy spray!

Pictures show the before and after much better than any words could describe. My roommate wanted to wear the below shirt to go out but bemoaned its wrinklyness until I produced the spray to work its magic. She had this stuffed in her drawer and hadn't worn it in months.

 

The bright color of the top made the wrinkles even more apparent, so it was crucial that the top was treated before heading out. We sprayed 6-8 times on each side (quite a bit of the liquid is necessary, but you don't need to saturate it, just mist to get it slightly damp), and gently tugged at the sides and smoothed downwards to straighten out the fabric. Since we were limited on time, we used the blowdryer to accelerate the drying process, but normally you could just put the top on a hanger to dry until you're ready to wear it.

Ta-da! The after picture (about 7 minutes later) - smooth and beautifully draped, with nary a wrinkle in sight.


Here's the shirt on. Pretty dramatic difference, super useful in a hurry, and all done without the use of an iron! Now my roommate was ready to head out, looking more polished and fresh. An additional bonus: the spray imparts a light,clean scent so it doubles (triples?) as a laundry freshener.
In sum, I'm a big fan of this product. It's super quick, cuts back not only on ironing time but also drycleaning costs, makes clothes smell fresh, and actually works to get clothes wrinkle- and static-free. If only it came in a travel friendly size so I could stick it into a carry-on and/or purse for quick perk-me-ups. My boyfriend even uses it on all his shirts and has stopped making fun of our tiny iron.

If you're unable to find this in stores, a good alternative would be Febreze, which I've been told does practically the same job. Let me know if you try either and what your experiences are!

7 comments:

  1. Whoa that does look pretty effective. I dread whipping out the ironing board as well. I'm wondering whether this is safe for fabrics that aren't tee-shirt material or cottons...have you tried it on silks and other blends? Usually with silks I just take a hot shower, but there isn't always time for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't work on silk =( When I first bought it, I tested a tiny bit out on a silk dress and it left a mark..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woa that's pretty amazing I love products that actually do what they claim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fine for most dry-clean only materials, except for silk and rayon which will leave water spots. I sprayed it on my lavender ruffle dress (polyester) from UO hoping the lines would fall out, but it wasn't effective. At least it didn't leave spots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly! It's sad how rare that happens haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the demonstration! I've tried this once before when it first came out but didn't remember it being so effective. I almost never iron so it's definitely good to have something like this. Might give this another try for heavily wrinkled knits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used the Downy product before and it is GENIUS. Which reminds me that I need some more of it now. Thanks for giving it some love!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails