Friday, March 16, 2012

The Sun Sets in the West

It's been a hectic start to 2012 - from here on out, Michelle and I are making an effort to be more active in the blogosphere! Regardless how many people read our posts, it's nice to have a little piece of the web to call our own. Also, based on my recent post-shopping experiences where I hunt relentlessly for online reviews of things I buy to justify my purchases, you can never have too many blog posts.

The biggest change in my life: after 3.5 years living in Manhattan and absolutely having a ball, I've moved back to California and am starting fresh! There's no place like NYC and it will have a special place in my heart forever, but I am so excited to explore San Francisco and uncover gems to make it feel like home.

In my last month in NYC, I played tourist (finally attended a taping of Letterman) and basically shopped and ate my heart out. 

Before I left, there were several events planned and I was lucky to attend, my favorite one being the Estee Lauder visit. We got to see and walk around Estee's original office, which was meticulously preserved. Her original choice of furniture, wallpaper (which was completed by hand), and decor are left as it was when she was still there. The upper right picture is of her "secret" vanity and bathroom - it's behind a camouflaged wall panel!

It was super sunny the morning of the big move. I loved and am missing my neighborhood - Chelsea! Had to grab one last cinnamon raisin bagel from Murray's, cappuccino from Joe the Art of Coffee, and enjoy both on the Highline one last time and soak it all in. 

My goodbye gift to self - a Celine Mini Luggage in Souris, which is a taupe-y mushroom greige. February ended up being the month of Celine, with two other friends also getting Luggages (the red is a friend's bag - so gorgeous! and I've let go of the pink).

The leather is scrumptious on this bag; this is the new drummed leather for 2012 Resort which is stiffer than the old pebbled so should retain its shape better. To be on the safe side, I still bought a bag insert to prevent the bottom from sagging. I wish the bag was lighter; even with just my wallet, Kindle, vitamins and a scarf inside, the purse rests on the heavier side and I find myself rotating positions between handheld and crook-of-elbow to alleviate pressure. It's still beautiful though so its negatives are forgiven.  

I've been exploring San Francisco every weekend and it's glorious! The best part is definitely all the people here - my boyfriend also moved west last year, my college and high school friends are here, and so are my family. I'm looking forward to being a ton more outdoorsy here (in Manhattan I counted living in a 5th floor walkup as my exercise) and exploring the distinct characteristics of SF's charming and endearing neighborhoods. I welcome any tips and suggestions!

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back Janice!  What a wonderful going away gift to yourself ;)  Sounds like you're on your way to a wonderful new adventure so I can't wait to see all your new happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Callandra! Glad to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gasp!! You got the luggage!! How do you like it, and how were you able to get a hold of one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's on the heavy side (so haven't taken it out for long walking days or shopping trips) but great for interviews haha. We're small enough that this can fit on our shoulders which is a nice break. I wish this were a bit more true gray but I do love the chameleon nature of the greige shade and the contrast stitching makes it stand out more. This style is awesome, wish i could afford more colors, and the leather is reallyyyy nice. For Celine, I also like the Trapeze and Triptyque - have you checked those out? Ever growing wishlist haha. 

    There were a bunch at Bergdorf in February, I think we got lucky when a new shipment had just arrived and this was pre-price increase. Also, the new Celine Madison store had a decent variety of colors too (where I got the pink). 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, seriously! At least you got started on this one! =] I'm assuming you got yours in NY? I heard there's supposed to be another price increase soon too.

    And welcome back to the best coast! hahaha <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! It's nice to be back closer to family and friends! Yeah I hate price increase rumbles.. what color would you want to get? 

    ReplyDelete
  7. La ProfessionnelleJune 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

    You got rid of the pink? Oh my! I love your mushroom colored one but that pink just takes my breath away. -Did you by chance take it to a consignment store where I can now purchase it? :-D

    Anyway, SF is great. I love to just explore with no direction in mind. It helps me find the sweetest places and random food markets <3

    A Preponderance of Fashion

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails