Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Road to Skin Recovery - Part I

After dealing with breakouts and bad skin for the better part of the past 10 years (lucky me, I get to have teen AND adult acne!), I’ve now gone through a skincare and diet overhaul for the past 3-4 months, and am enjoying better skin that I ever have. It's miraculous! Relative to what I used to see in the mirror last October, my skin has completely transformed, and so I wanted to share what I've been doing in hopes that maybe somebody else could benefit from this. There's a lot of information to take in, so I'll break this up into two posts. Keep in mind also that although what happened to me seems sudden, it was NOT a quick fix. It took months of trial and error, endless hours of research and discipline. The solution that's worked for me will be a long-term process, so if you're still struggling, keep being consistent and don't lose hope!

Background
My skin was manageable for the most part during college, but began to worsen after moving cross country and starting a new job with long hours and lack of sleep. Throw in a bunch of other stress factors (worsening economy, job insecurity, long distance relationship) and bam! Skin reaches the worst condition it’s ever been in, culminating in large, painful cystic breakouts (gross, I know). It seriously depressed me and killed my social life since I refused to go out seeing anyone. Determined, I tried everything and spent a lot of money on promised solutions – facials, masks, antibiotics, medical-strength ointments, but it only left me with a reddened face that tingled from too much chemicals. In other words, fail. Anyone who suffers adult acne knows what a terrible cycle it is; the worse your skin looks, the more desperate you become to try any and all solutions, but it only leads to more irritation and breakouts. I’m not saying the things I tried were completely ineffective, but they didn’t clear me up at and I continued to wallow.

Skincare
Since I’d tried expensive products with no success, I thought, “What’s there to lose? Why not go the other route and simplify my skincare routine with only a few elements?” When it comes to skincare, sometimes less is more, so I did some research and found acne.org, a community of skin sufferers (..hmm, that sounds more bleak than it really is) created by Dan Kern, a regular guy who has endured years of acne and finally found an answer that worked for him and countless others.

His mantra is streamlined and simple: 1) wash face with a gentle cleanser, 2) apply lots of benzoyl peroxide, and 3) moisturize. The key success factor in those steps rests in the application technique – GENTLY GENTLY GENTLY. Along with allowing time in between steps for skin to dry and absorb the products, being supremely gentle was the most important factor to keep in mind. Acne sufferers have sensitive skin, contrary to popular belief, and should leave skin as untouched as possible. So, the number one thing to remember is to decrease irritation. This remains true for all steps of any skincare routine.
Cleanser – the fewer the ingredients, the better. Avoid chemicals with long names. I really like Purpose, and plan to purchase another bottle when my current one runs out. It is ultra mild, foams nicely, and still gives me a clean sensation that doesn't strip it dry. Every other day, I also exfoliate with a baby brush to get rid of dead skin, and am now transitioning to my Clarisonic for even cleaner skin. Another alternative is to use Cetaphil, but make sure the cleanser doesn’t have active acne fighting ingredients in it (like salicylic acid or BP).

A quick note about makeup: I don't use a separate makeup remover, but will just wash my face twice with Purpose if I wore foundation or a lot of concealer that day. Also I feel that the physical exfoliation I do with either the babybrush or Clarisonic helps to remove any leftover remnants.

Benzoyl Peroxide - Dan’s regimen is centered around benzoyl peroxide, which oxidizes the skin so that bacteria isn’t allowed to grow. It kills existing pimples and also prevents new ones from popping up. Everyday, twice a day, for the past 3-4 months, I diligently applied a LOT of BP (go here to learn more about the regimen) and I’ve seen a decrease in the size and scale of all my breakouts. Neutrogena On-the-Spot is an over-the-counter option, but it’s pricey for the size you receive.

Moisturizer – Even oily skin needs moisturizer! Otherwise, skin becomes zapped dry from excessive acne products, and thus overproduces oil to compensate. Ironic, since that’s the last thing we oily folk need! I’ve been using Dan Kern’s moisturizer along with a few drops of jojoba oil (to fight the flakies), but will probably look for another brand when I finish my bottle.

Other products I’ve introduced into my system:

AHA – After 1.5 months (that’s how long it should take your skin to get accustomed to BP), I started incorporating AHA, a chemically exfoliating glycolic acid. Its purpose is to shed the outermost layers of skin, expedite the turnover of new cells, and eventually reduce dark scars and pigmentation. What it’s really improved dramatically for me is the texture of my skin. I used to have a lot of pitted scars on my cheeks, but AHA has smoothed them out so it’s flat to the touch, and also easier to apply makeup. AHA is also my product of the future – I would keep using this to fade out scars and red marks.

Jojoba Oil – Crucial during NY winters, jojoba oil provides more moisture than regular lotion. It prevents skin from flaking off and eases application of mineral or liquid foundation (but try not to use that much makeup while your skin is recovering!

Sunscreen – Using BP and AHA increases sensitivity of skin, so it’s important to protect it with a good sunscreen. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Sunscreen is a MUST! I like Anthelios by La Roche Posay. Make sure to choose one that's oil-free and limits excessive chemicals.

Exfoliation – This is a tricky step, since you have to balance scrubbing/exfoliation while still being sensitive to skin (harhar... but really, you must be super gentle in the first few weeks of the regimen). I bought a Red Cross brand baby brush (if it’s good for an infant, it’s good enough for me right??) and timidly brush a few strokes on my cheeks and forehead every other day. It helps flakes come off easier and avoid dry, scaly looking skin. Now that it’s been 3+ months with the routine, I’m experimenting again with my Clarisonic, which I bought awhile ago but stopped using when my skin worsened (didn't think the whirring and noise would be good for the breakouts). Since acne.org offers large-sized bottles at economical prices, I bought most of the above products from acne.org, which is great since they last long enough to see results! Hopefully the magic continues, but will keep you all posted.

More broadly speaking, skincare isn't just about the products you slather on your face. You need to pay attention to all aspects of anything that comes into contact with the sensitive areas of skin. For example, 1) changing your pillowcase every few days (not just weeks!) so oil doesn't accumulate on its surface and clog pores, 2) carefully washing out shampoo and conditioner so that it rinses clean away from your face, 3) any cosmetics to hide blemishes, 4) not touching your face during the day, including resting chin on hands, cupping sides of face with palms, etc. It sounds OCD, but it's worth it in the long run.


...part 2 about diet, supplements, exercise to continue..!

7 comments:

  1. wow it's enlightening to read about what i've seen you doing for the past few months! i think i want to try a more gentle cleanser too and the jojoba oil since my skin gets to dry. do you use separate make-up remover too or no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that when my skin was at its worst, I piled on a bunch of harsh products hoping they would somehow miraculously fight away all the zits (Kiehl's Blue Herbal Cleanser, Origins On the Spot, St. Ives Apricot Scrub). These were all bad, bad choices and I learned that my skin does not do well with salicylic acid, AT ALL. BP is definitely gentler and more effective.

    I pushed back, started eating less junk food and bought the Purpose cleanser too! I even stopped washing my face in the mornings with cleanser (just water). Drinking tons of water and going light on the make-up were also good pluses.

    My skin's pretty good these days since I've stuck to a regime of moisturizing over harsh treatments, so hopefully it stays okay.

    Less is definitely more! Glad your skin is beautiful now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jessica - No makeup remover, I just rewash my face if I have to haha.

    @Michelle - I'm actually testing my skin to see how it adjusts to salicylic acid! BP stretches out the healing period so it takes longer for red marks/pigmentation to fade, I've heard that SA doesn't have this problem.

    Really glad both our skin has been behaving lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice!
    My name is Sharon and I heard about your blog through some AKPsi friends I've made since I transferred to Berk last summer. It caught my attention because growing up, I never got pimples and never imagined that I'd ever get acne. My family is known to have good skin genes and everyone complimented me on my skin in high school. Two years into college... my acne began and it has been the most horrifying experience for me and still continues today. You won't really find pictures of me revealing my skin without make-up, but my scars are hideous and the breakout cycles never seem to stop. It has been almost 3 years now since my acne began.
    I've been reading through the purchases you've made for your skin issues. I also purchased the clarisonic mia through skinterra and I feel like I've tried a lot of things.
    I wanted to know, are there any items you purchased that you feel have really helped your skin?
    ahh that was a long comment.. haha. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sharon! I've seen pictures of you through mutual friends so it's nice to put a face to your name =) I still have lots of scars and red marks too so I feel you on that. With the leftover bumps, I think AHA (a type of glycolic acid) is working really well to smooth my skin texture and to a lesser degree, is gradually lightening the dark marks. The Clarisonic is also helping to exfoliate and physically remove the topmost layers. I'm still looking for other products as well but think that it really will just take time for marks to disappear, unfortunately. BTW - how's the Clarisonic working for you?

    I read through your blog and saw the products you use for your skin, maybe you can try using fewer things and see if your skin reacts positively? For me, I basically figured out I was attacking it with too many ingredients at once (antiobiotics, products galore, facials, etc) and decided to simplify my routine until my skin improved. I stopped using masks, harsh prescription strength creams, and wore less makeup. The last part was really hard but sometimes skin needs a break and just breathe freely.

    If you're still breaking out, I really recommend the acne.org products - gentle cleanser, simple benzoyl peroxide all over to kill bacteria and prevent future breakouts, moisturizer, and then adding in AHA after your skin gets used to the BP. But I'd give all the other products a rest for now and see how if your skin improves.

    Along with skincare, diet, exercise and supplements are SO important to keeping clear. Your body systems are connected so your skin improves when other areas of your health improves too. I'm going to write up a blog about these factors soon, maybe those will also help? Gotta eat healthier, take vitamins (especially fish oil and zinc!), and exercise - it's all part of the equation.

    Let me know if you want to chat over email about this! This has turned into an essay haha, but I'm always interested in discussing skin issues since I'm continuously learning to improve mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow thank you for such a detailed response! I would LOVE to chat about skin over e-mail! lol ahhhhh and I MIGHT even show you how bad my skin can get in my worst breakouts.
    I know not wearing make-up can definitely alleviate my acne, but it's sooo hard for me to walk out of my place with my pimples revealed to everybody. SIGH.. I used to just go to school without any make-up in high school because I was lazy and COULD you know? It has been so depressing and it's nice to find someone else who understands what it's like too. I'm sure the life of a banker isn't helping either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It boosting feeling having fair looking skins, but let's face the truth not all people can afford buying anti acne products - GO natural ways of ridding acne - proper exercise, sleeps and eating habit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails