Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Alternative to Skinny Jeans - Jeggings

Everyone has a flaw that they self-criticize the most (doesn’t matter if other people can’t really tell or try to make you feel better by saying “it’s not that bad!”). It’s a personal thing, and while it may not be as horrible as our own critical selves imagine it to be, there is still a naggy desire to change that one aspect of yourself. For me, that would be my calves. I have really large calves that are unproportional to my otherwise petite frame. With the skinny jean trend (actually, I shouldn’t call it a trend since I think it’s a style that will be a permanent part of any jean collection), my chagrin only increased, as I struggled to pull skinny jeans over my stubbornly jiggly calves. No such luck, so I had stayed away from skinny jeans this whole time and stuck with straight leg cuts.

That changed over winter vacation when I stopped by the Valley Fair Aritiza in San Jose. Love the store, the merchandise, and the large floor to ceiling mirrors in the changing room. They have a great jean selection, and it was here that I found a pair of stretchy jeans by Citizens of Humanity. The salesgirl told me they were in fact called “jeggings” (a combination of jeans and leggings, har har) and had the comfy feel of leggings with the thicker material and design of jeans.

When I tried them on, I heard angels sing because I had finally, miraculously found a pair of jeans that pulled over my calves and gave me the skinny jean look!! The ones I found had a 12 inch opening, but there are ultraskinny options with 10 inches (which would probably cut off my circulation). The jeans fit perfectly tucked into boots and look awesome with heels. The major difference between jeggings and leggings are the thicker fabric for warmth and also, jeggings look like you’ve actually got pants on. If you have a similar calf fate to mine, look for jeggings next time you’re jean hunting!

Citizens of Humanity at ShopStyle

Mine were called Avedon Slick Skinny Jeans in Star. As far as sizing goes, I’ve heard that these stretch out a bit after wearing so I sized down. When I tried on my regular size, there was some bunching along the back so one size down was much better.

2 comments:

  1. i'm DEFINITELY a fan of jeggings and was going to write a blog on this too! i found a really comfy pair from american eagle:

    http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat90120&productId=0431_7799&cid=AEO_AFF_k108283

    cute, casual, and super affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just got my pair in the mail from shopbop today and they fit so amazingly well! it's the perfect thickness and stretchiness. these will probably be my new favorite pair of jeans! thanks for finding them janice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails