Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thoughts on Bar Method Soho

I didn't think I would go again, but here I am, on the eve of my 3rd Bar Method class. The extreme soreness finally subsided around Wednesday, three days after the day I checked out the studio in Soho. It's the first location to open in NYC, and in speaking to the owners after class, they mentioned a potential second studio to open in mid- or uptown late this year/early next. That's lightning quick growth! But not unexpected, given the immense popularity of Bar Method in the west coast and Manhattan's voracious desire for beautiful places of exercise (see: Equinox, countless yoga studios, etc.)
Michelle has already written a great introduction on what Bar Method here is so I won’t rehash the details, but I wanted to jot down a few notes about my own experience.

The facility is shiny, clean and gorgeous, just what you'd expect from a brand new studio residing in the heart of Soho (it's next to Theory and down the street from Chanel). Each class has room for 20-25 people, and classes are offered throughout the day. Exercises are done on carpet, and you are required to wear socks and pants that cover your knees (the de facto uniform also seems to be entirely Lululemon, as witnessed on every girl in class).

For 60 minutes, our instructor (one of the owners, Kristen) guided us through a routine with various exercises targeting specific muscle groups - starting with the arms, working our way through the quads, calves and glutes, leading to the floor exercise climax designed to work the core. Movements are small yet mighty - every person was quivering and shaking right from the get go. Now I understood what Michelle meant when she described Bar Method as making small changes for a big impact. The class isn't about sudden bursts of speed, but instead focuses on repetitive isometric exercises that require immense amounts of mental concentration and determination. There were times when I wanted to burst out and make large motions because my body was so coiled and tense from holding a certain position.

Afterwards, I was amazed at how sore each set of repetitious moves made me! I like to think of myself as a fairly athletic person, but these were the most challenging strength tests I'd done in long time. My favorite exercises were the ones especially aimed at the glutes, or "seat" as Bar Method instructors prefer to call it. With regular attendance, I can see the body sculpted into a lean mean muscle machine!

Between bikram yoga and Bar Method, I think I'm set with the gamut of exercises. While bikram pushes the limits of my flexibility and endurance, the latter hones in to build and define targeted areas of muscles. With bikram, I feel the results are more immediate - I always feel cathartic and cleansed right away after a class, whereas Bar Method takes longer to see results since muscle tone can't be built from just one session. Over time, a Bar Method body will have much more definition and muscle than the Bikram yoga body, which will be lankier and thin. The biggest visible difference between the two is the level of sweatiness produced during a class. I would never dream of making a date after bikram yoga but after the Bar Method class, I'm able to have brunch in all my dry glory.

Price-wise, Bar Method is more expensive at $35/class vs. Bikram which usually costs ~$20 (or at Yoga to the People, a measly $8). A 10-class package brings the price down to $28/class. Other cities may find cheaper Bar Method locations as Michelle mentioned the one in LA to be $20. I attribute this mainly to insane NYC rent and overhead costs. No worries if you're apprehensive about taking the plunge - Bar Method is offering a free first class to try it! Send yourself an invite here.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you finally got to try it out! It definitely is much harder than it looks. I bought the DVDs to use at home and they're pretty similar to the moves we do in classes, but I end up giving up on reps when it starts to hurt too bad since there's no one around to make me feel as pressured to keep up... I guess that's really what we pay for--someone to correct our moves and encourage us to keep at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bar method. Marina Del Rey (CA) studio opened few months back and I've been hooked - My body def. feels tighter everywhere. It's tough, but if you're spending 1 hour out of busy 24 hours, you should get the most out of it - and in Bar Method classes, you certainly do. I love my teachers who are so motivating and encouraging with so much energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great to hear you've been seeing results beachgirlla! How long have you been going to Bar Method, and how often do you go? Since I only have time to attend classes 1x a week, sadly I don't think my body will respond as well. If my schedule frees up more in the future though, I definitely want to be a regular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha @ giving up on reps at home. We're definitely easier on ourselves when no one is around to keep us accountable. This is also the main reason why I prefer classes vs. going to the gym alone - I do better with other people around, inspired by advanced students and a teacher who pushes me past my limits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because the Bar Method is based on consistency, I think it's really hard to see benefit from not going at least 3-4 times a week. Boo to our busy schedules! I'm hoping work slows down a bit during the summer for me to give it a real go again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been going about 5 times a week - I heard you should do at least 3 times a week to see results, and it takes more than few weeks to really see it. I'm reminded how long it takes to change a body - but I think Bar Method is one of the most effective. I'm happy to report that I can do more "real" push-ups than ever I've been able to:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails