Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Summertime Side Braids

As an accompaniment to the summer dress season, I've been sporting the side braid to work and loving it! It's been quite hot and windy out where I'm working so the braid has been perfect for keeping me cool and neat throughout the day. In contrast, this is also a great go-to for those days when my hair gets messy from being down all day and I need to freshen up for some after-work plans. It gives you an instant facade of being done up without much needed effort (add a slim headband for an even dressier look). My hair is a little too short to tease and play up at the moment, but I can't wait for it to grow out so I can achieve that Alexander Wang runway braid that everyone has been raving about.

I love that something so quick and simple can be worn so many ways. Here are some of my favorite celeb side-braids:



I remember seeing a much better picture of Lauren Conrad's hairstyle here, but can't seem to find it! What was pretty unique about this was that she had multiple braids beginning higher up on her head. I also really like how the pieces are pulled out at random spots along the braid to create a more textured and messier look. Unfortunately, my hair is not thick enough to pull this one off.


Love, love, love Nicole Richie! I think she pulls off the bohemian, chic look so fabulously. Although she wore this side braid to a formal event, she kept it fun with the loose pieces framing her face. She also shows how it can be worn with the traditional side-swept bangs for a girly touch.


Although some say that Selena Gomez dresses too mature for her age, she actually impresses me with her ability to look so classy. This is the most traditional version of the 2010 side braid and demonstrates how it can be a great alternative to spending 30 minutes curling your hair for a night out. Wouldn't you rather be disco-napping instead?


I saw this picture of Diane Kruger's hair and instantly began thinking about how I could get my sister to somehow learn to do this to my hair! Definitely not a style one can easily achieve on our own, but worth the trouble of learning!


Jennifer Aniston recently wore the braid out with her bright colored summer dress during the filming of her new movie in Hawaii. I left my hair braided while laying poolside this past weekend and definitely think it would be a great beach day hairstyle.


Here's my version of the 5-minute side braid worn with my piece-y bangs pinned to the side and paired with my new byCORPUS dotted dress and B.P Three Quarter Cardigan for a day out on the golf course. Read la bird boheme's tutorial and try it out for yourself!

7 comments:

  1. I also majorly love the side braid! I kept meaning to do a post on it forever but never got around to it. you sound great celeb pics! and I like your version!

    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally just did this for a night out last weekend! Side braid + thin headband for more contrast against dark hair. I like the texture the hairstyle gives and it adds more interest in pictures! It ended up coming apart by the end of the night though since I have layers.

    Have you tried doing a fishtail braid? It's another variation that looks more unique and dressed up. I saw it on youtube and loved the look but failed in execution haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just attempted to do this a la Selena Gomez style. Surprisingly it took less than 5 min and doesn't look bad...i never do anything with my hair, so I'm shocked! I can see this looking better with long, thick, unlayered hair though like in the starlet photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omo i love LC's braid! so classy. I've been doing the fishbraid version lately

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute due. Aww love the picture of yourself. Doesn't Nicole Ritchie's eyes look amazing in that photo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I am obsessed with braiding my hair!!!!love this look and I enjoy your page! if you like nails and anything sparkly, you might like my page!

    http://orangejuicelife.blogspot.com

    xx ojlife

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this good info. I have found it and will shortly inform the rest of my network members know. They should consider it as informative as myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails