Monday, May 17, 2010

Bubblegum Nails and Summer Dresses

Poor little me, I can't go to work on Fridays on the new project I'm staffed on... What does a girl do with a 3-day weekend? Roam around and do what girls love best, of course! With the sun shining down and a whole extra day to spare, my friend, Maria, and I treated ourselves to spa mani/pedis before heading out to Old Town Pasadena to see what we could find. I love shopping on weekdays when everyone else is at work... No lines and clean, well-stocked stores! With all the stores rolling out their summer must-haves, it was definitely a fun day to explore. Excuse the awkward, cut-off pictures, but hopefully I will get the hang of taking better fitting-room pictures in the future.


First stop of the day was my favorite: Zara. I have already raved about their spring collection, but was still excited to see what new items they've added since I was last there in DC. When Maria stumbled upon something I've been desperately on the search for, my love for the new collection was solidified! Being a measly 5'1 means I never really thought I could pull off the maxi dress look. However, after seeing plenty of petite girls successfully sporting them, I've always wanted to try one on. The bust area of an XS fit perfectly and although I still need to have it hemmed a few inches to get rid of that stumpy look, this is the best fitting maxi I've found. The entire top of the back is ruched, so it fits snuggly and allows for some stretch for a more customized fit. I also tried on the TRF nautical dress and fell in love with the cut and stripes! I don't own very many things with sleeves, so this was a fun change! The gold buttons even have cute little anchors on them. The light cotton material is also thin enough that I wore it as a swim cover-up this past weekend.


I have always, always loved Urban Outfitters' casual, but chic looks. Since UO puts all its items on sale within a few weeks of releasing them, I usually only window-shop and wait to order everything online. The byCORPUS Polkadot Dress fit so nice, though... I couldn't resist! This was my favorite purchase of the day! Love that the silk material makes it so easy to dress up. Plus, did I mention that it has pockets?! The adjustable tie-straps also make it possible to adjust the neckline for a more or less conservative look (more cleavage for dates?). I heart versatility. I grabbed the Silence & Noise Cardigan to see how the dress would look for work, but I ended up really loving it and bought it as well. Yes, I have no self-restraint whatsoever, but look how cute it looks on the model paired with shorts! Next on my list to try is the Lucca Couture Strapless Floral Lace Dress, so hopefully I can find it (on sale) soon. UO practically releases a new set of dresses everyday, so I'm also going to keep checking for more potentials.


It can be a daunting task to dig through the racks at F21 (especially at the larger stores), but the Pasadena store is really well organized! Unlike the craziness of the SF Union Square monstrosity, the Old Town two-story location has neat little niches for each of its sub-lines. I got my cheap, summer dress fix with the two airy floral pieces above. I've been hunting for the one on the left for quite some time now, but it sold out online pretty quickly. I wasn't too sure if the ruffly hemming would be too much, but the over the knee length makes it work somehow. Love the fit and that I can wear it with my new cardi! The one on the right didn't fit as nicely above the waist, so I might have it taken in so that it won't look as bulky on top. The v-shaped ruffled neckline, bright print, and cheap price still made it a good buy though. I found that throwing a cardi over this gives it a quick shape fix, so no biggie! I can't find either of these dresses online, but for a similar look, check out the Garden Spaghetti Strap Dress. Also, in case you saw PetiteAsianGirl's post about her fabulous lace dress she found at H&M, F21 also has their own version of the dress, minus the bubble skirt.

All in all, I would say it was quite a successful shopping day. Thankfully it stays warm enough during the months of May-September to make for some good wear and tear time for all these dresses! I love that even though Old Town doesn't have too many stores, it's got just the right selection to choose from. In addition to UO, F21, and Zara, you can also find a Kate Spade, J.Crew, H&M, and Banana Republic on Colorado Avenue. The domestic nerd in me also loves browsing Crate and Barrel, Z.Gallerie, and Pottery Barn in between shopping for clothes. Please add a Club Monaco, Old Town, and I might never have to go shopping anywhere else.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm I really like that F21 eyelet dress! It's an unexpected color. I thought you were going to link to this lace white dress they have that is really, really similar to what I got at H&M, but that one sold out in small sizes within hours.

    My favorite of your purchases is that S&N cocoon cardigan, which seems so versatile. Is it as cozy as it looks? I've been wanting some trouser or tap shorts from S&N and am not sure how their stuff fits.

    PS - what nail color is that? My fave pinks are Essie Fiji (milky) and Chastity (bright).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH so lucky I wish I could shop on the weekdays!! I've been trying to go for floral dresses and they all make me look chubbier than i really am (although I am actually chubbier now sigh).

    I am leaning towards dark colored dresses with small prints.. I think that makes me look less flowerpotty haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the orange-y color of the eyelet dress a lot. I saw that you mentioned in your post that there was a F21 version and was wondering if it was this one in white.

    I got the S&N in XS so I'm not sure if it will fit you since you're so tiny! It's really lightweight and soft--definitely cozy. :) I like that the wrists don't stretch out after a day of wearing, unlike some of my other cardis. I think some of UO's stuff fits rather small, so you should definitely try the shorts and see! I wish I had the legs for some cute trouser shorts (I really like the outfit on the model wearing the cream version of this cardigan).

    The nail polish I'm wearing is Essie Sugar Daddy. I love Fiji on you and need to try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom thinks my obsession with florals is a little too much too, but I can't get rid of it! I like that I can at least get away with them during the summer since it's so superfluous in LA.

    We can go shopping when you come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love florals. There's something about them that make me smile. I always get recharged whenever I'm wearing one. Zara never fails me with their collections. Thanks for sharing and I had fun reading this post.
    ties

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails