Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blockbuster Vegas

Vegas was epic, and it was a weekend I'll always remember. To celebrate our 25th birthdays, Jess and I organized a group of 39 people who stayed in 6 different suites/rooms to party it up in two nights of clubbing and one daytime pool party. It was the largest group I'd ever gone to Vegas with, and probably the last. Planning was really stressful but in the end, was SO worth it because everyone had an amazing time and all the logistics worked out!

Despite my eagerness to try out Rent the Runway since this post, I ended up not wearing dresses from the company, because the two dresses I would want to wear, I saw on friends in Facebook albums from their Vegas trips! There's a certain "look" to Vegas dresses and I suppose a lot of people had the same idea about RTR. Another time!

Instead, I went on multiple frantic last-minute shopping trips for Vegas two days before my flight, yikes! Vegas really creeped up on me - I'd been studying for GMATs, adjusting to a new job, hunting for a new apartment, etc. The weekend beforehand, I was too unmotivated to dress shop. And even though I had started looking for dresses as soon as tickets were booked, nothing in the past 3 months cried out to me.. I was searching for dresses that were eye-catching in some way... tight, colorful and/or mini (many girls opt for low-cut but that doesn't work for my body type!). Thank goodness for living in NYC, because in two days I went to 3 different Bebe stores, scoured Soho (H&M, Zara, Marciano by Guess) and found all I needed for the weekend. Funny enough, Jess and I ended up wearing Bebe dresses for BOTH nights!




My first night's dress (store link) I actually bought in Vegas an hour before clubbing! My friend Linda and I were shopping for straw hats for the next day's pool party, and stopped at Bebe when I saw this bandage dress hanging on the rack. The sales associate said it had just come out that day (I now know it was a re-promote) so fewer people would have it. The dress runs small (XS was teensy) but fit well and I had been wanting a bandage dress so this was a keeper!! At $98, the dress was less than renting an Herve aaaand I got to keep it. This dress replaced the original Bebe pink and purple ombre bandage dress which was a little long and didn't fit as snugly. 

What the sales associate mentioned about fewer people having the dress stayed with me that whole weekend, because I counted no fewer than 15 girls who were wearing Bebe dresses I recognized, even one that was the same as my 2nd night dress but in a different color. Their styles are very Vegas-appropriate! 

People got tired the second night, because there are only a few pictures taken, and fewer still of my dress. My camera battery died after the pool party so I didn't take any of my own. My dress is now sold out on the site but I loved the fluttery fabric and zing of neon! There is another version made for the Kardashians earlier this year that had orange on the bottom, which I prefer but can't find anymore. I got an XS but it was slightly big and I had to tape the top to prevent gapping...a far cry in sizing from the above bandage dress I had to squeeze into.

Stores that are great for Vegas dresses (any others?):
- Bebe
- Marciano
- Guess
- Asos.com (make sure to buy early before small sizes sell out)
- Shopbop.com
- Frederick's of Hollywood
- BCBG
- Forever21
- Lulus.com

And a few fun shots from Wet Republic pool party
So packed!! Avicii was DJing that day
Our cabana against the packed pool party
Straw hats were definitely on trend!
Avicii spinning, crazy high energy I LOVED it!! I'm in the front with the white hat =)

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast. You look gorgeous in that dress. The picture of you two is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud when you said that Vegas dresses have a certain "look" to them.  They sure do!  Vegas is my home town and one can easily spot the girls heading to the club by their bandage dress uniforms.  I think you did a great job with getting a club dress without looking like every other girl in the background.  I especially like your second dress (is there a gradient on it?)  Vegasish but with a lot of class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Jess and I climbed on a table for that picture =P I wanna go back to the pool party... 

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is it living in Sin City? Do you only go out on weekdays to avoid tourists - I've heard of Industry Nights on Mondays.

    Thanks! Yes the second dress was ombre - cascading from beige, white, more beige, then the shocking lime green at the bottom. Agreed, it is more covered up than most dresses but still flashy b/c of the color and feathery texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it looks like you had sooooo much fun.  how the heck did you organize that?  but wow, great job!  I love Vegas.  Still need to go to Wet Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You girls all look so beautiful! The dress flatters your body so well. Such a perfect last minute buy :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. so true on the "look" about Vegas..it's all about body con, bandage dresses and exposed tanned skin! love the pics, I was too drunk at Wet Republic to take any but I'm sure I had fun lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails