Friday, March 13, 2009

Heavy Hitters: Tui-Na Massage

I finally got a massage this week. Up 'til now, I had chosen to spend money on other things (ahem, purses) instead of indulging in a massage, but I had to give in when my shoulder muscles became so tense it hurt everytime I typed.  I blame the sedentary lifestyle known as working life I've adopted since last July - sitting/slouching in a chair for 12+ hours a day, hunching over, and being hyperextended over my keyboard doesn't do a thing for my posture (duh).   Worse, my shoulders and neck muscles get incredibly tense and knotty, and sometimes I swear I feel my nerves being pinched.  I tried convincing the boyfriend to give me massages, urging him to take out his stress by pressing down hard and getting rid of those bumpy knots.  Now I know I heed more than just a guy's strength - I need that of a small, middle-aged Chinese lady.

tui-naTui-na massages concentrate on pressure points on the body (think acupuncture without a million needles) and focuses on cleansing the energy, or chi, of the body to promote better blood flow.  I prefer these massages to regular Shiatsu or Swedish massages, because I feel they're targeted toward my problem areas, and the ladies know how to dig deep and really knick the knots I have.  It's a deep tissue massage (although you can ask for lighter pressure), but I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart. Personally, when my muscles are hurting, I embrace the pain, and want someone to kick my butt and get rid of the knots.

Thanks to Yelp, I discovered my local Tui-na place, and have gone back five or six times. It's called Asia Tui-Na Wholeness, and it's very no-frills, simple decor, all about the massage.  For an hour, I get pummeled by a little old lady who finds all the biggest baddest knots and knocks them over over with her surprisingly strong fingers. Does it hurt?  Heck yes! But it's a lot better than feeling crappy during the week, so bring it onn.

This place is my eye in the storm amidst the stress of work and bustling of NY.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails