Thursday, February 19, 2009

Celebrity Endorsements Overload

Even in this ever slumping economy, companies pay big bucks for their celebrity endorsements. Working on a client of mine, I've come to learn that something as little as a guest appearance at an event can earn a celeb as little (or as much) as $200k!!!

As someone who *loves* to read advertisements--and really believe them--I can't say that I've ever really been that impressed by seeing a celebrity proclaim their love for a mascara in the many pages of my magazines. They just become another page I have to flip past to get to the articles I want to read because they all look so similar. I don't remember who's associated with which brand and I don't gush to my girlfriends that I saw so and so on TV "using" L'Oreal's latest creation.

I for one, like many, am actually pretty tired of seeing celebs on EVERYTHING. I love celebrity gossip blogs and would be quite happy to look like some of them, but I just don't understand the point of overdoing it as much as it's been done lately. Let's pay them for what they do and make our beauty decisions based on the actual product. It'd be great to actually see ads that focused on the product and the brand.

The things that really matter to me when I decide to try a product are: (1) purpose of the product, (2) unique characteristics that set it apart from something I already use, (3) reviews by peers, and (4) brand reliability. With the amount of products I shuffle through each day, I want to be presented with as much information as possible regarding a new one that I might add to my regime.

I love you, Drew, but I don't need you to tell me that I should love LashBlast (and I actually do!!). From looking at the ad above, I would've thought these things: I love LashBlast already, maybe I will try this version of the product! I love how Drew looks (knowing that she's most likely not even using CoverGirl make-up)... I would purchase the product based on my own knowledge of the brand and product. My opinion on Drew's make-up here is no different than if I saw her looking like this in a separate photoshoot--I see no real correlation between what she looks like and the product that is "attached" to her image on the ad.

Celebrities can serve as great inspirations for style and make-up looks, but when considering the credibility of a product, I don't need to see their beautiful faces on every page of my magazines to convince me to run out and buy something.

1 comment:

  1. i thought about this post when i went to CVS yesterday and saw all the drugstore brands with celebrity endorsement galore. maybe with lower end brands when there aren't as many cool features, celebrities are a good way to entice an audience and differentiate between products. i think about teens who are just starting out wearing makeup, and they dont have the benefit of having tested tons of stuff and knowing what to look for - having a famous person sign off on a brand makes it easier to choose.

    as girls whove gone thru many products, we've learned to look past the famous face, and to look for ingredients, results, real reviews. the product should speak for itself - the cult favorites (nars blush, shu eyelash curler, etc) dont yet have endorsements, and they dont need to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails